Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bringing the Stick

So I'm stealing this story from another missionary friend but I loved it so much I had to share it. She was telling me about the church in Ethiopia and how there is such a fire there for missions right now. She told me about one church that was holding an offering so they could send out and support more missionaries and everyone in the church gave so generously...including one women who brought a stick. This women had nothing else to bring but she desperately wanted to do something, so she brought her firewood for the day. She gave God everything she had, she brought her stick.

 There are so many things to learn from this story, and it creates a great metaphor that this stick was supposed to be the wood for fire, and yet it was used to fuel a much bigger and more impactful fire. It also raises the question of "if it came down to it, and I had nothing left, would I give God my stick and trust him to take care of me?"

Something to think about for sure. That story just makes me so happy and it also challenges me in so many ways. God is doing incredible things in Africa and that is such an encouragement.

It was a relaxing weekend. We didn't do anything terribly exciting, We visited the Zoo in Entebbe on Saturday afternoon and saw rhinos, lions, giraffes, gigantic snakes and freakishly large spiders that were not part of an exhibit they were just hanging around. I'm starting to realize that I come home in 1 month! Time is going WAY to fast here for my liking and it feels like I just stepped off the plane. I realize that I came here to volunteer and to help but I can honestly say that I have been far more blessed to be able to work with the staff and kids I do and to get to do life alongside such friendly, resilient, and incredible people like the Ugandans.

There is a lot to think about, a lot to ponder and wrestle with. I've realized from being here and yes, Uganda could learn a lot from America and western culture, but we as westerners and Americans can also learn so so much from Africa. It is a very relational culture here and they value people and friendships in a way that we often fail to do so in our culture.

Prayer Requests/Praises
1) I had an eye infection this week (ha I seem to pick up every infection here) but the nurse at DP fixed me all up and it's all better. Please pray that I stay healthy my last month here.
2) Please continue to pray for youth camp to be held the first week of May.
3) Please lift up the African church as a whole and just ask that God would continue the work that he is doing here and that He would be raising up the next generation of leaders that love Him.

Thank you for all the prayers and the encouragement that are always pouring in. It is such a blessing to me.
love you!

-LO

1 comment:

  1. Praying for your requests right now, Lauren. Glad you're loving Uganda.
    gina

    ReplyDelete